What type of insurance coverage can I choose for my move?

If you have homeowners or renters insurance, your furniture should be covered during your move from most “acts of god” as well as vehicle peril in which the crash causes the damage (confirm with your policy provider). However homeowners and renters insurance does not typically cover you against scratches, dropping or falling over, etc. As a matter of good customer service, many movers will pay to replace one or two items they may accidentally break and so a majority of customers opt not to purchase additional coverage.

If you have homeowners or renters insurance that covers you for “acts of god” but would like full protection against man-made damage, moving companies will cover the full depreciated, cash value of your items (not new replacement) for typically a fee of 1% of the value depending on the distance. (By law movers cannot sell insurance, instead, they claim responsibility.)

(By law, movers are required to cover a minimum of 60 cents per pound on moves crossing state lines and between 10 cents and 60 cents, depending on the state, for in-state moves. The national average value of household items on a truck is $6 per pound, and so this minimum 60 cents represents 10% of your value.)

If you do not have homeowners or renters insurance, or your insurance does not cover your items when moving, you can get coverage from a third party moving insurance company for less than 1.5% of your total value that covers both “acts of god” and man-made damage. Moving insurance companies also offer the option of new replacement cost coverage. To find moving insurance providers, search the internet for “moving insurance” or “relocation insurance”.

*One thing to note is that movers or movers insurance companies will not cover you if boxes are Packed By Owner (“PBO”). You must let the moving company do the packing.