Requirements Your Mover Must Meet

A move that crosses a state line at any point; even if the state line is Canada or Mexico; even if you end up in the same state you started from; and even if the truck does not cross state lines, but the move continues by plane or rail outside the state is considered an Interstate Move by the US Department of Transportation.

You can view a given company’s license, inspection record and insurance here:

Requirements Your Mover Must Meet

Your mover must:

Be licensed with the US Department of Transportation
Give you a written estimate
Base a non-binding estimate on weight alone
Tell you if they are a broker/middleman
Give you a copy of the U.S. DOT publication, “Your Rights and Responsibilities when you move”.
Provide dispute resolution/arbitration information
Give you a Telephone number
Movers are entitled to payment before unloading the truck at your new address. However, if you agreed to a non-binding estimate (which must be based solely on weight), and the weight is heavier than estimated, causing the final price to be higher than the original estimate, you do not have to pay more than 110% of the original estimate at that time. The remainder can be invoiced for the balance in 30 days.
Most Common Complaint

Be aware that many complaints of overcharging are due to high extemporaneous charges such as additional packing, storage, tolls, fuel surcharge. When contracting with a mover, it is a good idea to decide what these charges will be so there are no surprises. While these matters of overcharging are civil, the act of holding a shipment hostage until double or triple is paid is criminal and thankfully, relatively rare. If over 40 million people move in a given year, there are only about 4,000 cases of hostage shipments reported to